Monday, January 7, 2008

Little Aviator




I love airplanes and visiting the airport! Hmmmm....I wonder where I developed an interest in such things? Well, anyone who knows Daddy knows the answer to that question without hesitation. Daddy keeps saying he is a pilot and has been since he was 18 years old, but I haven't seen a plane in the hangar lately...oh yeah, that's right...it took a swim in the bay and now it can't fly anymore:). Anyway, Dad is on a mission to find a new plane with his plane partners and we should have another one soon. Mom still says that I am not allowed to fly until I can say "Mom, I understand the risks of flying and I absolutely do want to get in the plane and fly with my crazy father"! Lately, she seems to be a little worried as I am nearing the ability to say this (of course, we all know that Dad has been covertly coaching me to say this exact sentence, no doubt!) Now, she has amended her initial requirement to include that I must be able to wear headphones and leave them on. That will buy her at least 1-2 more years, don't you think?

In the meantime, we go to the empty hangar a lot to play and run around. Daddy refers to the hangar as our $/month "indoor playground", which is a nice thing to have these days since it has been cold and rainy lately and this Peanut's energy level seems to keep increasing. I love to watch planes take off and land, look at the airport fuel truck, sweep the hangar and pretend to use the radio and other items. Mom says she GASPS to think of the things that are lying around, but Dad says that he has "babyproofed" the hangar and not to worry. Mom just replies that she is so tired that she is leaving it in his hands to keep me safe which, no doubt, he will. Mom visited with us the other day and noticed a "toddler sized" gap in the hangar walls - one in which I could easily slip into the next door hangar. When she asked Dad what he would do if I slipped next door, he just shook it off. Hopefully, the next door hangar owners are local and can respond quickly if called just in case I did venture through the wall and decide not to come back into our hangar on demand - RIGHT!!!
On a funny note - when Mom was talking about the next door hangar and my ability to slide over there, she said these exact words "What if Matthew slipped next door and got into all that CRAP?" Of course, although I was on the other side of the hangar at the time, I immediately came over and asked, "Mom, where did the CRAP go?" Ooops!! Mom just acted like she didn't hear me and she thinks I have forgotten, but I plan to pull this new word out in a public place sometime in the future as I think it refers to something fun!!!
Take a look at the pics of me at the airport this past month. Note that I am wearing my aviation bomber jacket - really cool, aren't I? All I need now are a set of Ray Bans and my own toddler sized plane and I will be set!

2 comments:

mfletcher1 said...

Glad to hear that Matthew is expanding his vocabulary. Wait until he learns to spell all those words you are trying to hide from him by spelling them out.

Ohio Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Matthew, you are just no longer a baby and look very handsome in your bomber jacket!
Anne